Go Fishing At The Food Table
While waiting in line for the food, start chatting up the person next to you. This is a great opportunity to get a conversation started because you already have something in common: the food. Everyone is thinking the same thing, What am I going to try? What looks good?
So, instead of just standing there in silence, start a conversation. Here are a few conversation starters for this situation:
- “Oh man, everything looks so good… I’m not sure what to get! What are you thinking?”
- “Yummy, they have ___! Have you ever tried it?”
- “Hmm, I’m not quite sure what that dish is… do you know?”
Who knows, you might leave the buffet with a better plate of food AND a new contact! That’s a win-win in my book.
Find A Loner…Here are some ice breakers:
If you see someone standing alone in the corner, clutching his or her drink, and looking miserable, don’t be afraid to walk up and introduce yourself. Typically, these people need a little help getting the conversation going.
- “Man, these networking events can be so crazy. Mind if I join you over here where it’s a little quieter?”
- “Wow, there are a ton of people here! The food must be good, huh?”
If someone is standing alone, he or she is probably feeling uncomfortable or unconfident. If you initiate the conversation, it could make them feel more relaxed and willing to connect.
Read more at http://www.careerealism.com/conversation-starters-networking-events/#GcDmqbO1mr0ZXRAx.9918 Easy Conversation Starters For Networking Events | CAREEREALISM.